Orders placed by noon EST ship the same day! And get 10% off all Gift Subscriptions with code GIFT10 GIFT NOW >> VIEW ORDER DEADLINES >>
was successfully added to your cart.

Can Your Dog Drink Coffee?

By 05/21/2015Coffeecademy, Random

For those of us who love coffee and have a dog, wanting to share our favorite beverage with Fido is a natural inclination. You should never give Fido a sip of your coffee, though, as caffeine is toxic to dogs. If your four-legged friend does ever accidently ingest coffee, here’s what to watch for and how to respond.

Common Signs of Caffeine Poisoning in Dogs

Caffeine affects the nervous system and heart in dogs, just as it does in people. Dogs have a much lower tolerance for caffeine than people, though, and symptoms of caffeine poisoning can appear when only a little is consumed. Some common signs of caffeine poisoning in dogs include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • an elevated heart rate
  • tremors

At higher concentrations, caffeine can even lead to difficulty breathing and seizures.

According to Provet, caffeine is lethal to dogs at concentrations of 150 milligrams per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of weight. Since there’s only about 100 mg of caffeine in an 8-ounce cup of coffee, it’s unlikely that your dog will drink enough coffee to cause a life-threatening situation. If Fido gets into coffee beans (especially chocolate-covered beans) or grounds, however, he may ingest a lot of caffeine quickly.

Treating Dogs That Drank Coffee

The signs of caffeine poisoning appear one to two hours after ingesting caffeine. If your pooch accidently got into some caffeine, there’s no need to panic immediately. Just keep a close eye on Fido for any of the above symptoms. As long as he only lapped up a little coffee and doesn’t develop serious symptoms of caffeine poisoning, he should be fine.

If Fido had a lot of coffee or develops signs of serious caffeine poisoning, he may need to be rushed to an emergency veterinarian. There’s no direct antidote for caffeine poisoning, but a vet may:

  • induce vomiting, to prevent more caffeine from entering the blood vessels
  • prescribe anti-seizure pills
  • treat with medication to reduce blood pressure

A vet will likely want to keep your dog at their office for several hours, so they can watch for any complications that may develop.

Please, refrain from giving Fido any coffee, no matter how much you might want to share some with him. It’s not good for him, even in small doses, and can be seriously harmful in larger doses. He might accidentally get into your coffee one day, and you’ll need to watch him carefully if he does. You shouldn’t ever entice him with it, though.

Author Scott

Scott is a professional writer for Driftaway Coffee. He worked as a barista for eight years, but today prefers to enjoy his beverages from the other side of the counter. When not drinking Driftaway Coffee, Scott usually has a mug of his own roasted coffee nearby.

More posts by Scott
  • MurraySuid

    I understand the danger of caffeine for pets. But I wonder: Would decaffeinated coffee be OK? I’m not recommending it. I’m just curious. Is the problem caffeine or does coffee itself–caffeine aside–pose a danger. Thank you.

    • https://driftaway.coffee Driftaway Coffee

      Hi there – even decaf contains traces of caffeine so I would not take a chance.

      • Bruce

        From the article math (150 mg per 2.2 lbs is toxic), I calculated that it would take 54 cups of coffee (over 3 gallons of coffee) to be toxic to my 80 lb Lab, on what basis is your claim never to allow a dog to ingest coffee? Do you have any research studies, pet mortality of illness statistics, you can cite behind that?

        • Bclark

          Before i read this i calculated my dog. she’s 120 lbs and it would take 5.113 gallons of coffee to kill her. If i drank 5.133 gallons of coffee i’d probably die of multiple things, one would be hyponatremia/water intoxication.

    • CherrySoda

      Why the F would you want to give a dog coffee at all?

  • Elizabeth D Martin

    I have a 1yr old Great Pyrenees female, I drink 4cups of coffee every other day. The coffee mug I use, fits 2cups. Lately I’ve noticed when I leave the rm for a few mins, half my coffee is gone. First I thought it was my husband, then I realize she’s bn drinking it. She’s always bn very active and energetic. I don’t want my lil girl to get sick and die. What signs do I look for?

Orders placed by noon EST ship the same day! And get 10% off all Gift Subscriptions with code GIFT10 GIFT NOW >> VIEW ORDER DEADLINES >>