Making creamers at home can be easy, and healthier too! Here’s a guide on how to make your own coffee creamer.
Making the Base for Coffee Creamer by Mixing Condensed Milk with Milk or Cream
A coffee creamer base is easy to make. Simply mix a can of sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces) with 1 ¾ cup milk or cream. This works out to a 1:1 ratio of sweetened condensed milk to cream. So, if you have a partial can of sweetened condensed milk left over from another recipe, just add an equal amount of milk or cream to it.
You’ll need to stir these ingredients vigorously, as sweetened condensed milk is a viscous liquid. If you’re having trouble getting them to mix together, try putting them in a jar you can shake or a blender.
A Healthy Alternative is To Make Your Own Cream or Condensed Milk
Making your own cream lets you cater it to your specific tastes and health requirements. You can vary the type of milk or cream that you use, and you can even make a homemade, sugar-free sweetened condensed milk.
Any of these options work for the milk or cream:
- For a rich creamer, use half-and-half (or even heavy cream)
- For a healthier option, opt for whole, 2 percent or skim milk
- To reduce the dairy content, try almond or soy milk
If you want to use sugar-free sweetened condensed milk, just blend these ingredients together:
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ⅔ cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup artificial sweetener of your choice
Add Your Favorite Flavor To The Base To Create Your Favorite Taste
To this base, you can add any number of flavor options:
- French Vanilla: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon hazelnut extract
- Dark Chocolate: 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Milk Chocolate: 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Caramel Macchiato: 2 tablespoons caramel syrup and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake: 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Almond: 2 teaspoons almond extract
When adding thick syrups, warm up a little of your base (but don’t scald the milk), so that it can dissolve completely. This will help prevent all of your chocolate or caramel syrup from settling on the bottom, although you should still shake the creamer just before pouring.
Try making one of these coffee creamers, and let us know what you think in the comments below!