JUICY, PLUM, MULLING SPICES
The process of applying heat to green coffee beans to transform it’s chemical & physical properties, resulting in roasted coffee beans that can be brewed.
Lighters roasts allow for the maximum regionally-defined inherent flavors of the green beans to come through. Since Kenyan coffees are generally juicy and tea-like, we roasted this light to allow for those flavors to shine through the cup.
Similar to Napa Valley or Burgundy for wine, the region where a coffee is grown can tell us a lot about the coffee.
Nyeri region is well-known for some of the best fruity and juicy Kenyan coffees.
The farm & mill where the coffee cherry is grown & processed.
Karogoto is part of Tekangu Farmers Cooperative Society (FCS) which combines the names for their 3 factories: Tegu, Karogoto, and Ngunguru.
The method by which the green coffee bean is removed from the fruit & then dried & stored can affect the taste of the coffee.
WET PROCESSED (WASHED)
- Wet processing: Bean is dried only after the fruit covering the bean has been removed by fermenting until it can be easily washed off.
- Most common processing method & preferred over dry or natural processing techniques.
- Generally produces cleaner & more consistent flavor
The grade of the coffee bean indicates quality. The method of grading differs from region to region
- Kenyan beans are graded by bean size and density.
- Larger size is generally associated with more flavor & aroma.
- AB is the second-highest graded coffee in Kenya, with AA being the highest.
Most wine drinkers know whether they prefer a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Merlot. Similarly, the Arabica coffee plant has several botanical varieties, each with unique taste characteristics.
SL-28 & SL-34
Varietals of Bourbon that were selected by Scott Laboratories (hence SL) in Kenya during the colonial years.
- Known for it’s sweetness, blackcurrant-like acidity & high complexity.
- Great cup quality, some of the most treasured cups.
- Grown 1000 meters and above.
- Not very high yielding.
- SL-34 is grown in middle altitudes.
- Better yield than SL-28.